Apple Butternut Squash Soup
by Maya Bradstreet, A Recipe 4 Wellness
Yummy – and easy – soup that’s fancy enough to make for a dinner party, but easy enough to make for yourself on a chilly fall week night! Take note that this soup is even tastier the following days.
1 butternut squash (or 3 sweet potatoes)
2 large or 3 medium-sized apples
1 yellow or sweet onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, smashed
1 inch piece fresh ginger
3 tbsp coconut oil
5 cups chicken or veggie stock or water
Sea Salt & pepper to taste
1. In a heavy soup pot, sauté onions in oil over medium heat until soft and transparent. Throw in smashed garlic clove & ginger, and season with salt & pepper.
2. Add stock/water to the pot, bringing the heat up to high.
3. While liquid is coming to a boil, peel and cube butternut squash & apples and add to pot. Season again with salt and pepper.
4. When soup comes to a boil lower heat and simmer for 20-40 minutes, until apple and squash pieces are tender.
5. Turn off heat. To puree, 1) use a hand-held blender to blend soup in the pot, or 2) pour into blender in batches and return to pot.