Creamy Sweet Potato Soup by Renee Touponce
We decided to whip up this relatively easy soup for a photo op last week. The recipe comes from Chef Renee Touponce, Executive Chef at Oyster Club and Port of Call in Mystic. We love how rich with layers of flavor it is and given the response from co-workers and neighbors we shared it with, it’s a crowd-pleaser! Plus it’s pretty.
4 tablespoons butter
2 medium white onions , chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 large leeks, rinsed and sliced
6 large sweet potatoes peeled and diced
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 fresh chilis, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
6 cups of chicken stock or vegetable
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup cooked and chopped bacon
1/4 chives small chopped
1. Melt the butter in a large thick-bottomed pot, over medium heat. Add the chopped onions, celery, leeks, garlic, cumin, and chili and sweat until the vegetables become soft and spices become aromatic, being careful not to burn the garlic.
2. Add the sweet potatoes, chicken or vegetable stock and salt. Increase heat and bring to a boil remembering to stir. Reduce to a simmer, and simmer until sweet potatoes are nice and soft.
3. Use a Vitamix or immersion blender to blend soup to a smooth puree. Blend the soup in batches and transfer to a larger pot to season at the end.
4. Finally once all the soup is pureed add heavy cream, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, ground nutmeg ,and salt to taste. Place over medium heat bringing to a simmer and serve.
5. For a little extra love, garnish the sweet potato with, thinned out sour cream using a fresh squeeze of lemon juice, chopped bacon and fresh chives.