Here’s something you must add to your summer bucket list: Farm Fest at White Gate Farm in East Lyme. Every Saturday, from 3 – 7pm, this bucolic, organic farm welcomes you with food and activities for the whole family.
Make the most of it. Here’s how:
1. Pack the car with beach chairs, a picnic blanket, wine, and the kids.
2. While you find a spot on the lawn, let the tots run around and have a peek at the farm animals.
3. Order up your appetizers from the raw bar: shucked-to-order oysters and clams, plus shrimp cocktail, octopus and calamari salad.
4. Enjoy live music while you nibble.
5. For dinner, order up a fresh pizza, baked outdoors in the wood-burning oven. Plenty of just picked toppings to choose from, but as a silly pizza purist, I had to have plain cheese and tomato. Served up in 10 minutes, two of us couldn’t resist finishing off a whole pie. Maybe try a kale lemonade alongside.
6. HANG OUT. Gab. Play corn hole. Have a homemade popsicle or visit the farm stand to stock up on veggies for the week. Check out the vendors selling handcrafted wares.
7. A picnic on a farm with live music, friends, and family? It doesn’t get better than this.
Find out more about White Gate Farm and Farm Fest here: whitegatefarm.net
83 Upper Pattagansett Rd, East Lyme